Friday, July 20, 2012

New Op-ed Work / One Style Versus Many

I am a regular contributor to The LA Times Syndicate / Tribune Media Services. Creating new Op-ed images at the beginning of every week is something I enjoy immensely. The folks at LATSI are very supportive in regard to us artists experimenting with different styles and mediums to help convey whatever message and topic we choose to pursue.
This is something rare in the business of illustration. Illustrators are told " pick a style and stick to it "
which from both a business and marketing standpoint makes perfect sense. Editors and art directors want to know what they are getting. However, for us artists who simply love to experiment it can feel
a bit like having your quill and ink ball and chained.
I like to experiment but in regard to the marketing aspect, it can me maddening.
Showing a variety of styles on one website can be confusing if not categorized and separated properly.  I am working on designing such a site but progress has been slow. I am too busy drawing!





Here is a sampling of some styles. Please click on image to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment